Call for Papers: 2nd Conference on the Economics of Central Bank Digital Currency by the Bank of Canada / Sveriges Riksbank
November 16-17, 2023 | Stockholm
The Bank of Canada and Sveriges Riksbank are pleased to announce a call for papers for a joint conference on the Economics of Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) for central bankers and academic researchers, to be held on November 16-17, 2023 in Stockholm, Sweden.
The event aims at providing a forum for central bankers and academic researchers to discuss the latest academic research on CBDC and payment innovations. The conference will host a limited number of paper presentations (both regular and poster) to allow ample time for discussion and interaction. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Adoption of CBDC, characteristics of payment instruments and consumer payment behavior
- Implications of a CBDC for central bank balance sheets, the financial sector and the broader economy
- Open economy dimensions of CBDC
- Interaction of a CBDC with privately issued digital monies (cryptocurrencies, stablecoins, etc.)
- Design of the CBDC policy toolbox
- Consequences of the cashless society
- Resilience and efficiency of payment systems
- Real-time payment system innovations
- BigTech and payments
The keynote presentation will be given by Franklin Allen
, Professor of Finance and Economics and Executive Director of the Brevan Howard Centre at Imperial College London. The conference will also feature a distinguished policy panel.
Papers should be submitted (extended abstracts will also be considered) in electronic format by June 15, 2023. All papers will be reviewed by the conference’s scientific committee. Authors will be informed of the outcome before July 31, 2023. Final versions of the selected papers are due by October 15, 2023.
Call for Papers (pdf)