, Monetary policy implementation: theory, past, present, Oxford: Oxford University Press, November 2004. (Chinese edition by Dongbei University of Finance & Economics Press)
, with J. Haucap and C. Wey, Institutions in perspective, Tübingen: Mohr Verlag (Paul Siebeck).
 with F. Gonzalez and E. Tabakis, Risk management for central banks and other public investors, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
, Monetary policy operations and the financial system, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
, Central Banking before 1800: A rehabilitation, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
, with A. Fotia, Introduction to central banking, Springer, Open Access:https://www.springer.com/de/book/9783030708832?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_JX6nPeN8QIVECwYCh0R2AMwEAQYASABEgLtWvD_BwE
Recent articles and working papers
-  with J Barmbold and J Haucap, “American and European Economists”, Journal of Economic Perspectives, 9, 205-06.
-  “Vertical Integration in the long run: The provision of physical assets to the London and New York Stock Exchanges”, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 153, 641-656.
-  with C. Hantke “The power distribution in decision making among EU member states” European Journal of Political Economy, 13, 171-185
- , “Reserve Requirements and Economic Stabilisation”, Discussion paper 1/97, Economic Research Group of the Deutsche Bundesbank. https://www.bundesbank.de/resource/blob/702984/ce07eca5121ceb017aedb022758f7f52/mL/1997-01-01-dkp-01-data.pdf
-  with C. Pfeil “Specialization as a specific investment into the market – A transaction cost approach to the rise of markets and towns in medieval Germany 800-1200”, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 155, 738-754.
-  “Central bank liquidity management and the signal extraction problem on the money market”, Jahrbücher fuer Nationalökonomie und Statistik, 220, 284-301.
-  “Towards a theory of central bank liquidity management”, Kredit & Kapital, 33, 346-376.
-  “A coalition form analysis of the “one country – one vote” rule in the Governing Council of the European Central Bank”, International Economic Journal, 15, 141-164.
- , together with Franz Seitz, “Currency in circulation, the cash change-over and the euro-dollar exchange rate”, CES-ifo Studien, 47, 531-548.
-  “Central Bank forecasts of liquidity factors and the control of short term interest rates”, BNL Quarterly Review, 55 (No. 220), 13-37.
-  with B. Weller and F. Wuertz “Central Bank and commercial banks’ liquidity management – what is the relationship?”, Economic Notes, 32, 37-66.
-  ”Over- and underbidding in central bank open market operations conducted as fixed rate tender”, German Economic Review, 6/1.
-  with G. Camba-Mendez, A. Hirsch, and B. Weller, “Excess reserves and the implementation of monetary policy of the ECB”, Journal of Policy Modeling, 28, 491-510.
- , with F. Papadia “Credit risk mitigation in central bank operations and its effects on financial markets: the case of the Eurosystem”, ECB occasional paper no. 49. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbocp49.pdf
- , “Active portfolio management by central banks: why and how?” in: U. Bindseil, J. Haucap and C. Wey (eds): Institutions in perspective, Tübingen: JCB Mohr Verlag (Paul Siebeck).
-  with T. Linzert and D. Nautz, “Bidding behavior in the longer term refinancing operations of the European Central Bank: Evidence from a panel selection model”, Journal of Banking and Finance, 31, 1521-1543.
- , with K. Nyborg, “Monetary policy implementation”, in: X, Freixas, P. Hartmann, and C. Mayer (eds), Handbook of European Financial Markets and Institutions, pp. 742-778, Oxford University Press.
- , with F. Papadia, “Risk management and market impact of large-scale collateralised lending programs”, Chapter 7 in: U. Bindseil, F. Gonzalez and E. Tabakis (eds), Risk management for central banks and other public investors, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.
- , “Central banks and other public institutions as financial investors”, Chapter 1 in: U. Bindseil, F. Gonzalez and E. Tabakis (eds), Risk management for central banks and other public investors, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- , “Central bank financial crisis management from a risk management perspective”, Chapter 11 in: U. Bindseil, F. Gonzalez and E. Tabakis (eds), Risk management for central banks and other public investors, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, October.
-  with K. Nyborg and I. Strebulaev, “Repo auctions and the market for liquidity”, Journal of Money Credit and Banking, 41, (7), 1391 – 1422.
- , “The Theory of Monetary Policy Implementation”, pp 5-114 in: P. Mercier and F. Papadia (eds.), The Concrete Euro, Oxford University Press.
- , with P. Cour-Thimann und P. König, „Weitere Anmerkungen zur Debatte um Target2 während der Finanzkrise“, in: ifo-Schnelldienst, 16/2011, 64. Jahrgang, 79-84.http://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/1209832.PDF
-  with P. König, „The Economics of Target2 balances”, SFB 649 Discussion Paper 2011-035. http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/papers/pdf/SFB649DP2011-035.pdf
-  with J. Jablecki, “A structural model of central bank operations and bank intermediation”, ECB working paper No. 1312. http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1312.pdf
-  with J. Jablecki, “The Optimal Width of the Central Bank Standing Facilities Corridor and Banks’ Day - to - Day Liquidity Management”, ECB working paper No. 1350. http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1350.pdf
-  with J. Lamoot, “The Basle III framework for liquidity standards and monetary policy implementation”, SFB 649 Discussion Paper 2011-041. http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de/papers/pdf/SFB649DP2011-041.pdf
-  with W. Modery, “Ansteckungsgefahren im Eurogebiet und die Rettungsmaßnahmen des Frühling 2010“, Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, 12(3), 215-241.
-  with P. König, “TARGET2 and the European Sovereign Debt Crisis”, Kredit und Kapital, 2/2012, http://www.macroeconomics.tu-berlin.de/fileadmin/fg124/koenig/papers/Target2SovereignDebt.pdf
-  with P. Cour-Thimann und P. König, „TARGET2 and cross-border interbank payments during the financial crisis”, CESifo Forum, Special Issue, February 2012, http://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/pls/portal/docs/1/1213646.PDF.
-  with A. Winkler, “Dual liquidity crises under alternative monetary frameworks – a financial accounts perspective”, ECB Working paper 1478, http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1478.pdf
-  with A. Winkler, “Dual liquidity crises – a financial accounts framework”, Review of International Economics, 21, 151–163.
- , with J. Jablecki, “Central bank liquidity provision, risk-taking and economic efficiency”, ECB Working Paper No. 1542, http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1542.pdf
- , “Collateral, asset fire sales, regulation and liquidity”, ECB Working Paper No 1610, http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1610.pdf
- , with P. König, “Horizontalists and Verticalists: an appraisal 25 years later”, Review of Keynesian Economics, 1, 383-390. https://www.studocu.com/en-za/document/university-of-cape-town/macroeconomics-ii/summaries/review-of-keynesian-economics-basil-j-moore-s-horizontalists-and-verticalists-an-appraisal-25-years-later/3742868/view
-  with N. Sauter, “The role of sovereign debt in monetary policy implementation – an international comparative perspective”, in: M. Balling, E. Gnan and J. Holler (eds), The future of sovereign borrowing in Europe, SUERF Studies 2013/5, Vienna https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/163509/1/suerf-study-2013-5.pdf
- , with A. Winkler, “Dual liquidity crises under the gold standard and in a monetary union: a financial accounts perspective”, in: B. Winkler, A. van Riet and P. Bull (eds.), A Flow-of funds perspective on the financial crisis, Volume 1: Money, Credit and Sectoral Balance Sheets, Palgrave-MacMillan.
- , with Clemens Domnick and Jörg Zeuner “Low interest rate policies and the expropriation of the saver – A review”, ECB Occasional Paper No. 161, May 2015. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbop161.en.pdf
-  with M. Corsi, B. Sahel and A. Visser, “The Eurosystem collateral framework explained”, ECB Occasional Paper No 189. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecb.op189.en.pdf
- , Early German and French central bank charters and regulations,” ECB Occasional Paper No. 234, https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecb.op234~ed52941e3b.en.pdf
- , with N. Terol, “The evolving role of central bank money in payments”, Central Banking. https://www.centralbanking.com/fintech/cbdc/7654486/the-evolving-role-of-central-bank-money-in-payments
- , “Tiered CBDC and the financial system”, ECB Working Paper No 2351. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecb.wp2351~c8c18bbd60.en.pdf
-  with A Lanari, “Fire Sales, the LOLR and Bank Runs with Continuous Asset Liquidity”, https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.11030